Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Self-Analysis

When I first started writing this blog, I had a very clear mindset as to what I was going to write about. In many ways I was even biased, as is apparent in my initial post. My initial interpretation of the rights of terrorists was that they should not be given any semblance of rights like those of American citizens. My initial posts followed this view point and failed to take into account that by denying them fair treatment, we are only further polarizing the issue in our country. As I continued my research, I found out more and more about the problems with limiting their rights.

I have learned much about the international laws that govern the treatment of POWs, the rules of war, and the distinctions between POW, criminal, and terrorist. As my knowledge of the topic grew, my views were altered to fit my new realizations. Prior to this blog, I was indeed a proponent of using torture against accused terrorists, whether this was legal or illegal, in order to acquire information that could save American lives. However, my view is now more intellectual and supported instead of emotionally charged. After studying the Geneva Convention, I realized that certain methods of interrogation were allowed by the rules of war in certain circumstances; however I also came to understand that in the majority of the time, these circumstances did not apply. One other revelation obtained through my research was that up to this point, I had classified all terrorists as men who took up arms against those they saw as inferior. I had failed to realize that terrorists, like most other groups, are multifaceted and require more infrastructure than I had previously thought. I discovered that there were many people who I consider to be "white collar terrorists" whose job it was to finance other operations.
As for the rights mandated to be read to terrorists upon their apprehension, I still disagree that they should be given the same rights as citizens. They are accused of committing actions with no regard for the sanctity of human life and thus should not be protected by the nation that they attack. Nevertheless, my initial opinion that they should have no rights has softened. Through conversation with my peers on my blog, I have come to realize that we must do what we can to protect those that might be innocent so long as it does not jeopardize national security.

No comments:

Post a Comment